I’m happy to announce a new release of the jQuery Validation Plugin. It’s been just three months since 1.12, yet this release brings lots of small and two big improvements. For those two I have to thank two people in particular.
First, Damian Mooyman, heavily improved the error message display implementation. From the outside, nothing really changed (this is a minor release after all, so backwards compatibility is a given). Though once you switch the bad default for the
errorPlacement option to something like a
<span> (this default will change in 2.0), the error label gets associated to the element using
aria-describedby. Along with the other ARIA attributes the plugin is already using, this gives screenreader users a much better experience. There’s lots of details involved, which don’t quite fit into this blog post. If you’re interested, check out the discussion for the two pull requests that made this happen, #1083 and #1140.
The other big one is support for AMD, implemented by Lars Laade. While there was a lot less discussion, he had to update most of the source files. I especially like that the UMD wrappers are added as part of the build step, keeping them out of the source files themselves. Again, if you’re interested in the details, check out pull request #1106.
I also want to thank Nick Schonning and Markus Staab, who have been helping out with ticket triage and lots of smaller details.
If you use the plugin, please donate or ask your boss to make a donation! This helps to run the plugin site and makes releases like this one possible.
18 people contributed code to this release. A big thank you to: ado130, Damian Mooyman, Diego, J. Randall Owens, Jamie R. Rytlewski, jcare44, Jeremy Forsythe, Jyrki Lilja, Lars Laade, lboullo0, Manuel Dalla Lana, Markus Staab, Nano Taboada, NetImperia, Nick Schonning, paladox2015, pylover, Wing. Also thank you to everyone who reported issues on GitHub or commented on them.
- Please post questions to the official Using jQuery Plugins Forum, tagging your question with (at least) “validate”. Keep your question short and succinct and provide code; a testpage makes it much more likely that you get an useful answer in no time.
- Please post bug reports and other contributions (enhancements, features, e.g. new validation methods) to the GitHub issue tracker
The full changelog:
- Add plugin UMD wrapper
- Respect non-error aria-describedby and empty hidden errors
- Improve dateISO RegExp
- Added radio/checkbox to delegate click-event
- Use aria-describedby for non-label elements
- Register focusin, focusout and keyup also on radio/checkbox
- Fix normalization for rangelength attribute value
- Update elementValue method to deal with type=”number” fields
- Use charAt instead of array notation on strings, to support IE8(?)
- Fix sk translation of rangelength method
- Add Finnish methods
- Fixed GL number validation message
- Fixed ES number method validation message
- Added galician (GL)
- Fixed French messages for min and max methods
- Add statesUS method
- Fix dateITA method to deal with DST bug
- Add persian date method
- Add postalCodeCA method
- Add postalcodeIT method